Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Reflections from my MBA.

Here it is my almost graduation. One Summer course and that will be Ms. Jessica I. Mullen, MBA to you! I am: Excited. Nervous. Scared. Hopeful. Optomistic. Jazzed.

I cannot believe how quickly these two (academic) years have flown by. How much I have worked. How much I have missed out on. How much I have cried. How much I have grown. How much I have stressed. And here it is... the finish line is in sight. I have 6 weeks left. SIX. One class and viola, I have accomplished another item on my "TO-DO LIST" in life.

My MBA program has taught me a lot about myself and I have within my reach a wealth of knowledge that I never expected to obtain. Let's face it, my undergrad is Psychology with a minor in Theatre. I did not take a single business, economics, accounting, marketing course during that time. Was an MBA in my future plans? No, but you know me. I get whims up my ass and once I start something I am determined to follow through.

One of my favorite memories was during my accounting class, which I hated. Ugh! Numbers. I don't see FINANCE or ACCOUNTANT being added to whatever job title I end up obtaining. What happened in this particular class was that our professor was passing out some handout (the actual handout escapes me). I hate accounting and I detested my professor (along with everyone in the class with me). It took me a minute to start paying attention, searching for split ends was much more important at the moment. Once I finally glanced down at my handout, I thought "oh, it's an invoice." My professor was droning on about some equation or whatnot (really, I am surprised a pulled off a B- in this course). I just knew that whatever he was babbling about had nothing to do with this invoice.

This invoice was an invoice for sex toys! I kid you not. It had items on there that would make the average person turn beet-red. It just made me smile. Digging into my strong dislike for this professor, I gently raised my hand and said, "I don't think I have the proper hand out. What does um, cherry-flavored edible body pens and vibrating balls have to do with yada, yada, yada?" He looked at me puzzled and bewildered while the rest of the class laughed.

I really also loved Casey introducing his profession at the beginning of each class. "Hey, I'm Casey I have a degree in Criminal Justice and I work for Palm Mortuary. I pick up dead bodies." People always get caught off guard by this profession and usually a million question ensue.

I am so grateful for this experience and so glad that it is reaching its final chapter. I just hope the world is my oyster and I land a stellar, amazing job... because looking at my student loan estimated payments makes me think I may have to take a job in Parhump as a LADY OF THE NIGHT.

1 comment:

JESS!CA said...

Thank you, love!

I am so stoked to be almost done! I was the only one to get it and it was placed in there by mistake!

He, he!