Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I am stronger.

Strength (n): the quality or state of being strong : capacity for exertion or endurance

How do we measure strength? Physically we can, but emotional and mental strength are intangible. I know I am strong mentally and emotionally because of some of the most unfortunate events I have had to experience in my life. These are the challenges that God (or whoever or whatever you believe in) has placed in front of you to, so you can see what you are made of (whoever said sugar and spice and everything nice is a filthy liar).
.

In true Jessica fashion, I will list what has made me stronger, these defining pivotal moments in my life:

-My rape in the Summer of 2007 by 2 men
-Getting sent away to a behavior modification facility when I was 16
-My parents divorce
-Losing an ovary
-Losing a kidney
-My lung disease
-My Mom issues (in general)
-My Master's degree
-Every heart break
-Surgery (times 5)
-My own self-defeatus attitude

Sigmund Freud stated it best when he said, "One day in retrospect the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." It is true. Without my struggles, without my hardships, without my lows, I wouldn't be who I am. These horrendous events are a part of my history. It's part of me. It's molded me, shaped me, and in ways defined me. I have become such a strong person living through these events. I am incredibly proud of who I am, who I have become, and who I am becoming.

I am me. I am all I have in this world. I have been blessed with an amazing sister, a loving father, the most brilliant friends, and an adorable kitten (or three). I am educated. I have a good sense of humor. I have a heart of gold. I have a roof over my head. Food in my belly. I cannot bitch too much.

These shit-tastic events have ultimately made me the caring, compassionate, ridiculous person I am today. I am a little too emotional for my own liking, but that is so essentially me.

I hate that I have had to live through some of this nonsense. I hate it. Some of these events still haunt me, visit me in my dreams, make me cry. But would I have my life any different way, absolutely not.

This is me. Like it or lump it. <3

No comments: